Graceland

There is a girl in New York City, Who calls herself the human trampoline,
And sometimes when I'm falling flying, Or tumbling in turmoil I say-
Whoa so this is what she means.

Paul Simon

Monday, April 19, 2010

Wednesday, February 5th 2003

Dear Journal,
I spend a great deal of time sitting on my bed ... listening to music while doing homework, reading poetry or leafing through photographs. I spend a great deal of time with myself and I rather enjoy my company. Today at the shelter we were all in a cramped room playing with the kids. I was helping Jaritza do her homework while the little boys jumped on each other noisily and rambunctiously- adorably! One night at work Matt, the Chef said, "I wish I was four again man, just running around!" And he started spinning around the kitchen like an uninhibited child. When do we get inhibitions I wonder? These children are great fun, and they love life. There is so much potential there. I wish I knew how to reach in and coax that potential out. I want to.

LL

The Lov'em shelter, where we spent Wednesday afternoons running around with kids and helping them do their homework. Those kids were so special, and that shelter was so crowded, it always made me sad to realize how bad their chances really were. I was never unaware, however, that as little kids they had yet to realize they'd been dealt a crappy hand in life, and that all they wanted was a piggy-back-ride or someone to read them stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment