Graceland

There is a girl in New York City, Who calls herself the human trampoline,
And sometimes when I'm falling flying, Or tumbling in turmoil I say-
Whoa so this is what she means.

Paul Simon

Friday, July 30, 2010

March 12th, 2005

I have so many really great things to write about Prague, may great things, but for now, all I can do is freak out. I have NEVER been laughed at by policemen or authorities the way I was tonight. Never. I don’t care what anyone says about the US, I have never been laughed at by policemen the way I was tonight.

The longer story will come later, but basically, we all went out drinking and Kelly and I decided to meet everyone back at the hostel at 1am. So we got back to where the hostel was at 1am but none of our friends were there to let us in. We decided to give them a few minutes. Some Czech policemen were going up stairs but they wouldn’t let us follow them. So we waited about 20 more minutes. We tried not to get upset that our friends were not there. The policemen came down. I tried to speak to them. They ignored me. I tried again. They ignored me again. We basically begged them. They basically laughed at us. We did not have a key. They would not help us. I was desperate, so as they walked out I yelled. One of them turned around and yelled at me to be quiet. He held up his key as a warning. I screamed at him in English that I hope he sleeps well knowing I am out on the street. He walked away.

I will never ever forget being treated like that by a police officer, someone who is supposed to help you. After they left I had tears brimming in my eyes. I had never been treated like that. I dind’t know what to do. So I screamed. I ran into the street and screamed again and some old man came out of a door. He saw me screaming and crying and so he told me to be quiet, and that he would help us in. So I tried to be quiet, but I wept onto Kelly. I have never been so let down. He let us in. Once at the top I banged on the door until Lauren let us in. They were tired. They couldn’t understand what happened. They won’t understand. I’ll never forget this. I won’t ever forget it.



That night still stands out in my mind. Honestly I know that a lot of it was the alcohol, but y words really fail to describe the situation, and how desperate we felt. I'm pretty much terrified of law enforcement in any country but my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment