Graceland

There is a girl in New York City, Who calls herself the human trampoline,
And sometimes when I'm falling flying, Or tumbling in turmoil I say-
Whoa so this is what she means.

Paul Simon

Friday, July 30, 2010

March 13th, 2005

“Wait guys, I can’t find my lip gloss … Sam, can I borrow yours?” – Porten’s joke.

PRAGUE.

Absolutely fabulous. We had a great weekend, even though I freaked out last night, partly because I was drunk, but also because I was genuinely upset. It’s okay though, sometimes I forget that there real assholes out there and that I have to encounter them occasionally. C’est la vie.

So first here’s the Prague story, simplified:

Me, Sam, Kelly, Katryn, Lauren, Sammy. We walked to the Venlo bus. A bird shit on my head. We bought wine and took a train. By the second train Sam and Kelly were wasted. I was a little drunk off my Riesling . We took another train. Couchette. Six beds. Entire room the size of a small bathroom. Conductor woke us up periodically to demand more money. Awesome. 8am arrive in Prague. First and only good exchange rate in Europe. Checked into hostel. Great room at the top of five giant staircases. Amazing view of Prague castle. Went out for bagels. Got lost finding Jewish quarter. Found Jewish quarter. Synagogue closed. Lauren bought Jewish star necklace. Ate giant, delcious hot dogs for 30 crowns. Then hot spiced wine. Rode tram for free. Napped at hostel. Others came back with beer. Decided to take it easy all night. Ate KFC. Drank beer. Went to bed. Shared bed with Sam. Good sleep. Woke at 9. Went to bagels again. Had sausage biscuits and gravy. Internet café was not restaurant. Walked up pretty, snowy hills. Amazing view of the city. Lauren saw men with machine guns, announced we were leaving. We laughed at her and kept going. Found the castle. Went in the Cathedral. Walked the bridge. Saw the clock in the old square strike three. More hot dogs. More wine. Meandered back to hostel. Nap time. Showers. Dress to go out. Take metro to other side of town. Honor system. Found small bar. Drank beer. All did absinthe. Took pictures. Burned sugar. Toast to Prague. Down it went. Slight burn. Intense buzz. Back on metro. Chose random stop near Jewish quarter. Everyone giddy. Like children, but with absinthe. Found mysterious cave-like bar. More beer. Bachelor party men in Santa hats. More absinthe. Six shots. Tray please. Starting to feel like a pro. Met two british guys from Oxford. Chill guys, fun conversation- not that I actually remember it all. One bought me absinthe. Showed him how to drink it. Gave him some beer to wash it down. Share a snakebite. Don’t know whats in it. Two straws. I like it. Group leaves. Kel and I stay. Soon I'm ready. Two kisses on the cheek. Pizza. Locked out. Encounter with asshole police. I scream. We get in. bed. 7:30am. Wake up. Bagels again. To go. Right place this time. Get on tram. Free again. Barely make our train.

Fucking good weekend. Only $100. Snowy hills out the window. I smile to mysef a lot lately.



And that was Prague!!

1 comment:

  1. A) Pretty sure I went to that cave bar.

    B) Snakebites are amazing!

    ReplyDelete