Graceland

There is a girl in New York City, Who calls herself the human trampoline,
And sometimes when I'm falling flying, Or tumbling in turmoil I say-
Whoa so this is what she means.

Paul Simon

Thursday, May 13, 2010

July 7th, 2004, 12:32pm

Dear Journal,
Friday at work was fabulous. Me, Leah and Leanne were all working at the snack bar and it was rainy and gross out, so we started the festivities off by being "Pirates" ... Dave would ask us if we wanted to be Pirates and then when we replied with a fervent YES we would take shots of dark rum. We set some soft shell crabs free into the water by the bathing area which was pretty fun, very invigorating, and then we decided, with the help of Oliver's management expertise, that we were going to close the snack bar down. So Ollie went on a beer run while we did the only natural thing there was to do - stay on the clock and make ourselves ridiculous amounts of food. So that's what we did. Once we closed everything up we went to one of the member's cabanas and drank beers and hung out. Nights like that at the snack bar are a rarity, and it was damn good times! That night I wanted to see Rob but I couldn't really get in touch with him, so the girls and I went to Shamrocks. Ohhh man, what a night, what a fucking night. I ended up driving out which was fine really, I was bummed about not seeing Rob and I didn't really feel like drinking a whole lot anyway. So in the car were me, Leah, Leanne, Jenny, Chad and Katy. (continued on July 27th at 2:31am) So we drive out to Shamrocks which is really SUCH a Long Island club. It's most redeeming quality by far is the beer pong section of the club, off to the side from the bar. There are so many "Lawn Guyland" chicks and guys there that it's ridiculous, so we kinda stick out like sore thumbs, but hey, whatever! So Katy, Jenny and Leanne proceed to get obliterated, these girls are seriously drunk, and two of them decided to partake in the night's festivities ... jello wrestling ... in a baby pool with tons of guys screaming and cheering. Oh my.
Leah and I thought it was funny at first and egged them on, but soon we realized that we were horrible friends. So those two jello wrestled and at one point Jenny started doing a little striptease, but luckily she didn't take anything off, I would have died! So finally it's about 3am and I am exhausted and every girl I'm with is with a different guy, so I'm standing there alone in a pretty bad mood and I just wanna leave. I finally round everyone up and Katy makes me drive home this lame guy that she met. So I drive him home and I'm in kind of a mood - everyone is SO drunk and I just wanna get home at this point. So I'm driving along on Montauk Highway when I pass a cop car. No big deal, I'm sober and going the speed limit ... but then he starts to follow me. And just as I realize he is following me, the girls take a photo in the back of the car so a flash goes off. He immediately pulls me over. Now I am borderline freaking out cause even though I hadn't been drinking I had had sips of some of their drinks and New York has a zero tolerance law which means that since I am under 21 if he breathalizes me I get arrested. So he looks at me and asks for my license and registration and then without another word he tells me to get out of the car and go around back. What an asshole. He didn't have to make me so uncomfortable, first of all. Around back? Fucker. So I got to the back of the car and now I am shaking as he shines a light in my eyes and repeatedly accuses me of being drunk. I keep telling him I'm not but he doesn't let up, so he makes me follow his finger with my eyes and then keeps asking what I had to drink. "Your pupils are telling me you've been drinking," he keeps saying. Bullshit. He asks me if I am wearing contacts and I tell him no, that I just left a smokey club. (and its 3am!!) So he makes me put both of my feet together, stick one leg out in front of me and count to 30 going, "one, one thousand, two, one thousand ... " I am the clumsiest girl alive, I didn't think I was gonna make it. But I tried, and while the leg that was on the ground shook viciously, I counted, repeating in my head that if I fall I go to jail. By the grace of some higher being I made it the full 30 seconds and calmly dropped my leg to the ground. With that, the horn of his squadcar beeped. I think he had somewhere to be, so he told me to drive straight and go home. I got in the car and thought that I was going to die, I was shaking so hard I could barely turn it on. I drove the speed limit the whole way home and on Sunrise Highway Katy and I got into a huge screaming match over ridiculous shit. She just started doing her drunk Katy routine and I went off on her- I couldn't take it, it had been a long night. Luckily the girls chimed in and helped me shut her up.
She didn't remeber it the next mornign and I filled her in. She felt bad ... See, dad treats me so badly in situations that involve her, so I have this building resentment and she thinks it's towards her so she gets upset that I'm treating her wrong and picks fights with me. We are both at fault for our poor communication. Anyway, I made it home and got in bed by almost 5am and felt crappy on Saturday.
On Saturday Leah and I worked a private wedding with Oliver, which was pretty easy, then Sunday I worked a wedding at the club and by Sunday night I was SO beat! Just exhausted. Yesterday I putzed around and got some errands done then last night we went to Rob's, well me, Jackee, Annie and Leah. Katy met us there later. Jackee thinks he's trashy and too ghetto and that I could do so much better. The fact is she's right, and we are as different as night and day. I show up to his house in this long, flowy flowered skirt and I'm such a white girl, and he's dressed so different, listening to rap and shit but still, if he and I are okay with the drastic differences between us why can't she be? I'm not even that upset cause it's not like I'm dating him. I think this is a 95% physical attraction we have and that's why we hang out. I didn't have sex with him last night although I got pretty tempted ... I like hanging out with him and I can overlook the differences because he and I are both going to get what we want out of this. So that's that. I'm exhausted now. Time for bed.

LL

I spent that summer randomly driving my mom's car all the way out to Riverhead. I always made up reasons why there was no gas in her car. A few years later I told her what I'd really been up. The one time he did show up in Stony Brook, to a party at Annies ... well that was quite a night.

1 comment: