Graceland

There is a girl in New York City, Who calls herself the human trampoline,
And sometimes when I'm falling flying, Or tumbling in turmoil I say-
Whoa so this is what she means.

Paul Simon

Monday, June 7, 2010

Friday April 14th 2000

Dear Journal,
Life's path is constantly teaching me things, giving me new ideas, and reminding me of past thoughts. In Health we are studying death. Mrs. Hendricks said we were put on this earth to die, to do 5 things- Born, Grow, Mature, Age, Die. She tells us we're on number three. Perhaps in the big scheme of things that is all we are here to do, but on a more personal level, that's not even the half of it. We're born to love, to give, take, receive, learn, lose ...We're born with such an openness to possibility, so much potential and capacity for life. There are so many different things that life offers, not just birth and death. I like to do volunteer work, I've done it before, and its always because I wanna help, but there's always the transcripts it'll go on, the Honor Society that may accept you because of it. Tonight I walked up to my church to spend an hour making Easter baskets for the soup kitchen children. This task won't get me into any club, it wasn't done to help me look good, I just did it, and as I did it I kept thinking of the amazement these children are going to experience when they see all this. As I was walking up to the church tonight I did a lot of thinking, and I realized that life can never be bad. If you really look at it, God may throw death, loss and failure your way, but even at its worst, life is never less than good. I really think that life is made up of moments. The good ones are beautified into memories, bittersweet ones into experiences, and painful ones into true lessons. I don't have much figured out, after all, I'm only 15, but I've seen enough to have lessons learned, and memories filled with experience, and an abundance of grace.

Laura Leigh

I don't have much figured out, after all, I'm only 25 ...
Mrs. Hendricks was that one teacher in Gelinas Junior High that everyone took pretty damn seriously, after all, health class is no laughing matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment