Graceland

There is a girl in New York City, Who calls herself the human trampoline,
And sometimes when I'm falling flying, Or tumbling in turmoil I say-
Whoa so this is what she means.

Paul Simon

Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Beginning - June 10th 1998

Dear Journal,
I guess now is the perfect time to start writing, it is almost summer and keeping a journal makes summer easier. The inscription on this journal says "Congratulations," this is because in English class we had a poetry contest. I submitted a poem called "Angel." I won, and this was my prize.
Today was one of my better days, I wore an outift that makes me feel good, I got good grades on all papers that I got back - and the weather is beautiful!
At the beginning of this year I was depressed, for numerous reasons, but I think I'l be fine, mainly because I have caring friends, like Leah.

- Laura


So I thought I would start off with my first entry. Pretty simple stuff. Leafing through these journals I realize how unbelievable kids are. I was thirteen when I started this, and so much of what I wrote in these pages is embarrassingly childish, and other times I wonder how on earth I thought I was so mature. The first few years are really just a rehash of what I was doing at the time: who my friends were, what movies we were seeing ... it's all very basic teenage stuff. I wrote the poem "Angel" a few weeks earlier that year, while sitting on the couch out on my front porch enjoying a really nice afternoon. I'm not entirely sure what prompted me to write it, but I suppose I should share it, despite it's sing-song rhyme scheme. I was pretty young, and in my defense, I recall most of the poems in that contest to have been pretty awful.

Angel

... And I dwell in the darkness of the brightest day, watching over the life you play.
... And I bathe in the deserts where the sun pour strong, keeping by your side all life long.
... And I wake in the moonlight just to hear you pray; "God, please send me an Angel to help me through the day."
Yet if you look back on your path I've been with you all along- From the very darkest nights to each golden dawn.


I was originally just going to post the journal entries, but since many of them will be out of order I know I will absolutely have to comment on most of them. For many, I suppose I will cut names of friends and family when I feel it is necessary, otherwise everything will be as is. I will include every mortifying detail ... (well, most of them)

1 comment:

  1. Jeez Laura you're friends don't waste any time following you! it took me 3 months to get 16 followers on my blog. I hope you include some more of your poetry on here. xoxo Sis

    ReplyDelete